You are using an outdated browser. Please upgrade your browser to improve your experience.
What is the prostate?
The prostate is a gland of the male reproductive system. Located in front of the rectum and just below the bladder, the prostate is about the size of a chestnut and somewhat conical in shape. The prostate is sheathed in the muscles of the pelvic floor, which contract during the ejaculatory process. The prostate stores urine and secretes clear, slightly alkaline (pH 7.29) fluid that constitutes 10-30% of the volume of the seminal fluid which, along with spermatozoa, constitutes semen. The rest of the seminal fluid is produced by the two seminal vesicles. The prostate also contains some smooth muscles that help expel semen during ejaculation.
Sometimes referred to as male menopause--a total misnomer--it refers to a decline or loss of production of the androgen dominant hormones such as testosterone. The decline is gradual, and signs and symptoms can be missed or treated for another condition. This is a serious problem resulting in a decline in testosterone of 1-2% annually.
Andropause affects middle aged men, but can affect men as young as twenty. It is important to test testosterone levels along with the other hormones. Low testosterone can affect proteins that affect the Cardiovascular system (LDL’s, HDL’s ApoB and Fibrinogen) and low testosterone can increase triglycerides, cholesterol, insulin, fibrinogen, arterial plaque, and estrogen.
Symptoms of Andropause
• Loss of sexual desire or libido
• Decrease in morning erections
• Erectile Dysfunction (ED)
• Decrease in spontaneous morning erections
• Difficulty starting and maintaining an erection
• Concentration with mental fatigue and memory issues
• Loss of initiative, motivation, productivity and drive
• Depression, irritability, and low mood
• Loss of physical stamina
• Muscle soreness, weakness and a decrease of lean muscle mass
• Insulin resistance, blood sugar problems, and increase risk for diabetes
• More withdrawn from relationships and activities
• Prostate and urinary problems
• Dry skin, thin skin
Signs of Andropause
• Increase in Cholesterol and Triglycerides
• Lowering of HDL cholesterol
• Elevated blood pressure
• Weight gain around abdomen
• Increase in fat distribution in hips and breasts
• Changes in Visual acuity
• Varicose veins and hemmorrhoids
"My name is Chris. I came here a little over a month ago. I was not sleeping well, waking up constantly throughout the night from my hands going numb due to carpal tunnel syndrome. Now, I have absolutely no pain. I am sleeping through the night!! All without surgery! My husband says Dr. Ungar is a miracle doctor!! The way I am feeling now, I would say so too!! This program works and I am proof."